Update: We've stopped making our best selling face masks turning our time to better things but we do still have some premade stock left. If you really want us to make you one of our facemasks with fabric ties, removable nose piece or specialty fabric that you've ordered in the past feel free to reach out. We'd have to charge you the regular price of $20-$28.
Face Masks Built To Last
Our face masks are long lasting because we make sure you can replace all the elastic and we use durable fabrics.
Ours come with channels on the sides so you can insert new elastic loops or fabric ties.
Our fabric backing is made from a thick ticking fabric and we offer thick decorative fabrics like canvas and denim which have been shown to filter better than thinner woven cottons. They also hold up in the wash so they last much longer.
Buy Face Masks
Overseas, in countries that have previously dealt with viruses, facemasks are commonly worn in public places. But, here in the USA there is a stigma attached to wearing one. We're thinking, it's time the US got over that thinking and we are glad the CDC recommends wearing one. Here's a really good article on why we should be wearing facemasks in public. Here is another that talks about the difference between countries that wear facemasks and those that do not.
This study from Germany states that wearing face masks can reduce the daily growth rate by a staggering 40%. We think wearing face masks is way easier than dealing with rolling lock downs and the ensuing economic repercussions. As Jason Kottke so aptly says, "Jesus Christ Just Wear A Face Mask."
Five Reasons To Wear A Facemask
- They stop you from touching your mouth and nose. Pair them with glasses for even more protection. Don't forget to carry hand sanitizer whenever you go out. Dr. Dave Price suggests that everyone wear masks because it stops you from touching your face and touching your face is the number one way to get COVID-19. (see at 12 min in the video)
- According to Smart Air Filters, fabric masks are better than no protection. Testing indicates vacuum cleaner bags performed close to an surgical mask.** Again, we're not claiming ours will perform at that level.
- In our current situation, everyone should be wearing face masks when interacting with others. It's just common sense. You protect others from your disease because with COVID-19 you may not even be showing symptoms and still be contagious. Eek.
- They help protect you from pollutants, dust pollen and people who spit when they talk.
- They look super badass.
Our face mask is made from a layer of 100% woven cotton and backed with a second layer of tightly woven tea towel fabric. Facemasks can help control the spread of the cold, flu, contagions and inhalation of pollutants. Plus, ours are reusable. Just pop in a new filter after giving it a wash and it's good to go. Purchase from us and know you are helping a small, family run business. Each mask is cut and sewn to order in Portland, Oregon.
What makes a good face mask?
Our face masks are not medical-grade surgical masks or N95 respirators. They do follow the CDC recommendations for cloth face coverings. With a continued shortage of disposable face masks the Center for Disease Control recommends that you make DIY face masks or buy a fabric face mask and save the n95 respirator masks for health care workers and surgical masks for essential workers. Help stop the spread of COVID19 by wearing a cloth face cover for outdoor activities and practice social distancing. Together we can lower the impact of the coronavirus disease.
There is a lot of confusion about what face masks make the best ones. This article from the Atlantic that discusses the difference between egress and ingress and helps to clear up some confusion regarding the purpose of cloth face masks. Cloth face masks are more about egress. N95 masks with an air valve are made as protective face masks and are ingress as they protect the wearer from disease but allow escape of particles. Cloth masks focus more on egress, halting the transmission from the wearer.
There are ways to help raise the ingress of a cloth mask to make it more of a protective mask.
- A tight fit. The more fitted to your face the more protected you are. Our face mask comes with channels on the sides and when paired with our fabric tie you can get a very tight fit. Wear a nylon stocking neck gaiter style over your face mask closing off the openings on the sides and protect yourself even more.
- Add a filter. There are various substrates you can use including HEPA filters, coffee filters, paper towels, sterilization wraps, blue shop towels etc.
- Use thick, tightly woven fabrics. A face mask made from a thick, tightly woven fabric does more to filter out particles. We back ours with a thick tea towel fabric.
- Research indicates that a hybrid mix of fabrics helps to raise the ingress of your mask by creating an electrostatic barrier . Check out our reusable filters that are made from two layers of polyester and one layer of a PET knit.
There should be no gaps on the sides and it should be comfortable enough so you don't want to rip it off your face. You should be able to breathe through it.
They come with a thin enclosed nosepiece to help in conforming to the contours of the face and are washable and reusable. We've recently added the option of a removable nosepiece.
Take a tape measure and measure from the bridge of your nose to the bottom of your chin. Our cotton masks are pre-shrunk so no need to add in extra.
Medium is 5.5" and fits most women and teens
Large is 6" and fits most men
Cloth face masks are worn more for stopping the spread of COVID-19 and less for protection. But, we do make ours out of fabrics that demonstrate more efficacy with filtration according to this study by Smart Air Filters. Our tea towel backing is a tightly woven cotton and we offer denim and canvas outer fabric options.
If you can blow out a candle while wearing a face mask it's not doing anything for you. Our fabrics tend to be thicker while still being breathable.
Our face masks come with Elastic Ear Loops by default but if you drop us a note with your order that you'd prefer the Elastic Head Band we can switch it out.
Elastic Ear Loops
Easy to put on and take off.
Sits on the ears and can cause ear fatigue and become annoying. The fit is not tight.
Elastic Around The Back Of The Head
Doesn't sit on the ears.
People can see it because it sits over your hair. Have to slide it over your head. Can slip around and become tangled in hair.
Our inner fabric is a breathable 100% cotton ticking.
We are constantly changing our outer fabrics. We carry twill, canvas & woven cotton fabric. Designers include Echino, Kokka, Alexander Henry & more. Our 10 oz denim may vary from color of photo. Our snakeskin fabric is a cotton knit. Canvas fabrics include Water Rocks, Spring Confetti, Dutch Flowers, Mod, Patchwork, Evening of Mauve. Our Solid Black is made from a heavy twill. Cuts from our fabrics may show different parts of the design than featured in our product photos.
- Remember that when you remove it you should be taking it off by the ear loops.
- Do not grab the front as it may be contaminated.
- Wash your hands after removing your face mask.
- Here is a great article on wearing homemade cloth face masks.
- Soap and water is the most effective way to kill the virus. You can wash your face mask by hand with dish detergent (Dawn is great) and let it air dry.
- You can also machine wash on cold and dry on cool. Try and avoid harsh detergents. If you have ties you might want to put it in a net bag to make sure they don't get tangled up.
- Steaming has been shown to kill the virus. I use my iron on high and steam it for 3 minutes because I don't have the patience to wash and dry it every day.
- Microwaving has also been shown to kill viruses but make sure to order the removable nose piece option as you must remove the metal piece before tossing it in the microwave.
You can use air dried an anti-bacterial wipe, paper towels or coffee filters as a filter paper insert and then toss it away everyday. If you have a surgical face mask, you can slide it into our facemask for a more cheerful appearance.
Tip: Buying members in your household different patterned masks as it makes easier to quickly identify the owner.
**Source of Various Fabrics Filtration Efficacy. We back our face masks with 1 layer of tea towel fabric.
Author's Personal Tip
I carry my face mask in my vehicle packaged together with alcohol and a pair of surgical gloves. When I return to my car I pour alcohol onto my gloves and while wearing gloves I rub down everything I touched while out including keys, phone and the front of my facemask. This saves my hands from becoming cracked and dried. When I leave, I hang my facemask from my rearview mirror so the sun can kill those germs.
For preventing fogging of your glasses while wearing a mask I saw this simple tip from NPR.
Disclaimer: This information is based on the opinion of the author. There is no guarantee that our face masks will prevent infection. We performed no laboratory tests to substantiate any of our recommendations and our advice should not be taken as expert. Baby Wit LLC takes no liability regarding the performance of our masks.
40 Reviews Hide Reviews Show Reviews
Mask design, craftsmanship, quality, and shape/fit are outstanding. Masks were shipped promptly. I’ll definitely be purchasing more.
Ordered three masks. They look exactly as advertised. Size: perfect. The fabrics are dense but does not impede breathing. The sewing is flawless & sturdy. We love our masks!
We have purchased 2 sets of these masks, and will buy more. I appreciate the options in sizing, three different head straps available, plus the fabric choices. The inner lining is heavy-duty linen (dish towels), and with the additional lining fabric they provide - it adds for added protection.
Good design, patterns, fabrics, and price but then only luck to get the right size mask otherwise it slips down or too tight, Company needs to have a user friendly accurate sizing method for the buyer to more accurately select the size mask to order.
The best I have tried and the pocket for the filter is so easy. Thank you!
The fit is excellent, which is so important
Very well made. Fits well
Absolutely beautiful. This was a gift for a friend who loves Dragonware. She was thrilled. Fast shipping, too. Ty